By: Alex Wasson, Director of Security
Most people operate under the assumption that their workspace is a physically secure and safe environment. The job of any security director is to make sure that this faith isn’t misplaced, and one of the primary tools that helps accomplish this goal is access control.
Over time, access control has evolved from lock-and-key setups, to card readers and keypads, to biometric authentication and beyond. However, the evolution isn’t limited to just the lock mechanism itself.
One of the biggest paradigm shifts of the moment in physical security is the switch to cloud-based access control. Like all cloud solutions, this provides advantages in terms of cost, ease of use and adaptability. But perhaps most importantly, if used properly, it has the potential to actually make your building safer.
The reasons to make the switch are numerous:
- Remote access: With a traditional access control server, the system can only be managed from the controlling computer on-premises. With a cloud-based solution, admins can access the system from nearly any device anywhere in the world, provided they have a stable network connection. This allows you to operate with peace of mind, knowing that if you think the door was left unlocked or the proper routines weren’t set, you can always do it remotely via a mobile application.
- It’s cost-effective: The traditional technology ownership model requires making capital purchases of all the necessary hardware. Beyond that, you’re on the hook for any future updates, upgrades or necessary maintenance. A cloud-based, as-a-service model nullifies this issue entirely, consolidating all of these costs into a manageable monthly payment. This affords you the confidence that your technology is up-to-date and working, without blowing your budget.
- Need more? No problem: Cloud-based access control is an adaptable, fully scalable solution. If the number of doors you need to protect increases, you don’t have to worry about purchasing additional equipment and all the associated expenses; you can just add it onto your package instead. Additionally, you will never have to worry about buying all-new equipment to support technological advances in the field. With cloud-based solutions, your technology provider will ensure that your system stays compatible with new hardware and software integrations.
- Greater reliability: Downtime is always an unacceptable outcome, but especially when it comes to systems that protect the well-being of your people. With cloud-based access control, you aren’t relying on a single on-prem server to keep your system up and running. If there is an issue, backup servers can keep you up and running.
- Fully managed options: With managed access control, a trusted technology partner can take access control and its challenges off of your plate entirely for a small increase to your nominal fee. Your solution will be proactively managed, monitored and maintained, keeping your business secure while freeing up your resources.
Interested in making the switch to cloud-based access control but not sure where to get started? Contact us today to discuss how we can help you implement this solution.